3 Day Madikwe Safari
A 3 day Madikwe safari will give you a fantastic overview of this beautiful private Big 5 reserve, its topography and its flora and fauna. You will explore the reserve and see its wildlife on a series of morning and evening game drives in an open safari vehicle, with an experienced guide from the lodge where you are staying. In-between these game drives you’ll have time to relax and enjoy the facilities at the lodge. During your safari, you’ll also be treated to the fabulous food and service that is a hallmark of Madikwe.
What to Expect:
- 2 nights accommodation.
- Professional guides (FGASA registered) who have an excellent knowledge of the park, its routes, and its flora and fauna
- Groups for game drives average around six people per vehicle
- All meals and teas and some drinks are included
- All transfers to and from the reserve will be arranged
Madikwe has a wide variety of excellent accommodation, including family-friendly semi-luxury lodges, more intimate and sophisticated luxury lodges, and exclusive ultra-luxury offerings that give guests a particularly personalized and pampered experience.
Flights from Johannesburg to an airstrip inside Madikwe operate on a daily basis and are highly recommended. We will arrange transfers to and from the airport to your lodge. If coming to Madikwe by road, expect a five hour drive from Johannesburg and a little less from Pretoria.
Why Book With Us:
- Our travel consultants have first-hand experience of all Madikwe’s lodges and camps and will make sure they find the best match for your specific needs.
- We will organize your entire package including transfers
- We offer highly competitive rates
Weather and Seasons:
October – April (Rainy Season)
Daytime temperatures average around 30°C. The highest rainfall months are between November and February, though rainfall tends to come in short, sharp bursts and then the skies clear. The days can be hot and humid but the nights are beautifully balmy. During the rainy season the park’s vegetation is particularly lush, green and pretty; the soil is a distinctive deep red. This is the best time for birders, and for rich photographic contrasts.
May to September (Dry Season)
The winter months in Madikwe are dry and cool, with crisp clear blue skies. Night temperatures can sometimes drop to 2°C so be sure to bring warm clothes. Day temperatures average a comfortable 23°C. This is the best time for big game viewing, with animals being forced to move around in search of the scarce water supplies.
Johannesburg to Madikwe
We arrange your air or road transfer from Johannesburg and you should reach Madikwe in time to unpack, have something to eat and ready yourself for the afternoon/evening game drive. After your drive, you’ll return to the lodge, have time to freshen up and then eat a fabulous bush supper.
Full day in the reserve (all meals included)
Today you will rise at the crack of dawn and have tea or coffee and a quick snack before setting off on a morning game drive before the sun rises. The cooler morning temperatures mean that the game in the reserve is often more active, and the softer light makes for great images.
You will return to the lodge for a hearty breakfast or brunch, after which you will have time to relax by the pool and dip into a good book, or enjoy the rest of the lodge’s facilities.
After at least one more sumptuous meal, you’ll head out on your afternoon game drive, which may continue beyond dusk, then your day will invariably end with a good dinner and some reminiscing about the day’s sightings around a warm campfire.
Madikwe to Johannesburg (breakfast included)
Today will be another early start for a final morning game drive and, hopefully, some memorable sightings to cap off your stay. After the drive you’ll eat breakfast at your lodge and then be transferred back to Johannesburg to fly home or continue on your travels elsewhere.
Please enquire for current rates.
- Return road or air transfers from Johannesburg
- Professional drivers/guides (FGASA registered – Field Guides Association of Southern Africa)
- Meals as specified per itinerary
- Game drives in an open safari vehicle
- Accommodation in luxury en-suite rooms
- Bottled mineral water in the transfer vehicle
- Meals not specified in itinerary
- All entry fees and daily conservation levies
- Some drinks at the lodge
- Optional extra activities such as spa treatments
- Items of a personal nature