5 Day Madikwe Safari
A five day safari in Madikwe will allow you to get to know this astonishing reserve inside out, while also giving you maximum time to unload all your stress and adapt to the slower pace of life in the bush. You will explore the reserve and view its plethora of wildlife on a number of morning and afternoon game drives with a seasoned guide provided by your lodge. In-between, you will be able to enjoy the lodge facilities and fantastic food and service. A five day safari also gives you the option to stay at two different lodges within the reserve for a fuller Madikwe experience.
What to Expect:
- 4 nights accommodation.
- Professional guides (FGASA registered) who have an excellent knowledge of the park, its routes, and its flora and fauna
- Groups for game drives average around six people per vehicle
- All meals and teas and some drinks are included
- All transfers to and from the reserve will be arranged
Madikwe has a wide variety of excellent accommodation, including family-friendly semi-luxury lodges, more intimate and sophisticated luxury lodges, and exclusive ultra-luxury offerings that give guests a particularly personalized and pampered experience.
Flights from Johannesburg to an airstrip inside the reserve operate on a daily basis and are highly recommended. We arrange transfers to and from the airport to your lodge. If coming to Madikwe by road, expect a five hour drive from Johannesburg and a little less from Pretoria.
Why Book With Us:
- Our travel consultants have first-hand experience of all Madikwe’s lodges and camps and will make sure they find the best match for your specific needs.
- We will organize your entire package including transfers
- We offer highly competitive rates
Weather and Seasons:
October – April (Rainy Season)
Daytime temperatures average around 30°C. The highest rainfall months are between November and February, though rainfall tends to come in short, sharp bursts and then the skies clear. The days can be hot and humid but the nights are beautifully balmy. During the rainy season the park’s vegetation is particularly lush, green and pretty; the soil is a distinctive deep red. This is the best time for birders, and for rich photographic contrasts.
May to September (Dry Season)
The winter months in Madikwe are dry and cool, with crisp clear blue skies. Night temperatures can sometimes drop to 2°C so be sure to bring warm clothes. Day temperatures average a comfortable 23°C. This is the best time for big game viewing, with animals being forced to move around in search of the scarce water supplies.
Johannesburg to Madikwe
We will arrange your air or road transfer from Johannesburg and you should reach Madikwe in time to unpack, have something to eat and ready yourself for the afternoon game drive. After your drive, you’ll return to the lodge, freshen up and then sit down to eat a fabulous bush supper followed by a good night’s sleep.
Day 2,3 &4:
Full day in the reserve (all meals included)
You will rise just before dawn and have tea or coffee and a quick snack before setting off on a morning game drive. The cooler morning temperatures mean that the game in the reserve is generally more active, and some of the nocturnal animals might still be out and about.
You will return to the lodge in time for a hearty breakfast or brunch, then you will have time to relax by the pool and read a good book, or enjoy the rest of your lodge’s creature comforts.
After at least one more excellent meal, you’ll head out on your afternoon game drive, which may continue under the cover of darkness. Your days in the reserve will invariably end with a divine dinner and some good old fashioned tales from the bush around the fire.
Madikwe to Johannesburg (breakfast included)
Today will be another early start for a final morning game drive in the reserve and, hopefully, some memorable sightings to round off your stay in Madikwe. After the drive you’ll eat breakfast at your lodge and then be transferred back to Johannesburg to fly home or continue on your travels elsewhere.
Please enquire for current rates.
- Return road or air transfers from Johannesburg
- Professional drivers/guides (FGASA registered – Field Guides Association of Southern Africa)
- Meals as specified per itinerary
- Game drives in an open safari vehicle
- Accommodation in luxury en-suite rooms
- Bottled mineral water in the transfer vehicle
- Meals not specified in itinerary
- All entry fees and daily conservation levies
- All drinks at the lodge
- Optional extra activities such as Spa treatments
- Items of a personal nature